You are required to pay the NICA fee unless you meet the following exemption criteria per s. 766.314, F.S.:
- Resident physicians, assistant resident physicians and interns in postgraduate training programs approved by the Board of Medicine
- Retired physicians who maintain an active license, but who have withdrawn from the practice of medicine
- Physicians who hold a limited license, as defined by s. 458.317, F.S., who do not receive any compensation for medical services
- Physicians employed full-time by the Veterans Administration whose practice is confined to VA hospitals
- Any licensed physician on active duty with the Armed Forces of the United States
- Physicians employed full-time by the State of Florida whose practice is confined to state-owned correctional institutions and state-owned mental health facilities
Proof of qualification for a claimed exemption must be submitted to NICA, P.O. Box 14567, Tallahassee, FL 32317-4567. Please contact NICA at (850) 488-8191 for further information or visit their website.